Monday, April 25, 2011

SERIOUSLY- This Moving Stuff is Getting OLD!!



Well, here I am again- so far behind in my update that I don't know where to start and probably don't have the hour that it would take to give all the details- but I will try to fill you in on the basics. The reason for the update at this time is because we have MOVED TO ABU DHABI, UAE. Go ahead and get your google map page open. It's not too far away from Bahrain- to the east of it. We are about an hour from Dubai.

Right now we are staying in a five star hotel called the Park Rotana. It is a little too upscale for me and a feel a bit out of place with three kids and "living" in the place. Usually when I think of hotels that people live in a think of a completely different scale. But the workers seem to really love seeing the kids and have helped me with anything I need. We have been here since the 14th and will probably be here until this weekend and then we should be able to move into our new place. The hotel has a kids pool and a playground so that has been nice and Brian's parents were here until last Saturday which was a huge help. I wish we could have spent there visit playing and sight seeing, but mostly they helped us move and then took care of the kids while Brian and I searched for housing. We were happy to have them in any circumstance.

We colored some Easter eggs in the hotel bathroom the other day, and Brian's mom brought some things from the US for Easter baskets. Sunday night the Easter bunny left the baskets on the boys beds when we were eating down stairs (at the five star restaurant), and also hid the eggs around the room. I was feeling guilty about spending Easter in the hotel room in the evening instead of having Easter morning in a home, but we were able to have a lesson about Jesus and the boys seemed to be excited, so I guess it was okay. We need to stop moving during holidays (or just stop moving).

While Brian's parents were here we did get the chance to visit the Grand Mosque, and also the Emirates Palace which is a fancy hotel on the beach. So I will post the pictures of that. I don't know when I will be able to post next with all the chaos, but know that I haven't forgotten my family and friends!

We were required to use an abia and keep our hair covered- it was hard to keep it from slipping off my head but Diane, after living in Saudi for 26 years had it down.


Inside each dome hangs a chandelier, and each one had a verse from the Karan written inside.

They call this one the "baby" chandelier. All the chandeliers are from Germany.


Walking across this open white tile was supper hot and bright!


Beautiful art and architecture all over of coarse.

At first I thought they were painted but these pillars have semi-precious stone imbedded in them from Greece, as well as the floors and walls.


Everything was incredibly gorgeous!
The boys made it impossible for me to really listen to the tour guide, but it was still neat to see everything. The boys loved laying on the carpet inside since it has been months since they have seen that much carpet!


This is just the main part of the Emirates Palace Hotel- it looks bigger in real, and has huge gates at the bottom of the drive.

Anyone know what this is?...
It's a gold vending machine- just in case you have the erg to invest in gold while your staying at the hotel... I don't think this is something I would see in Idaho!


Camel ride anyone? Again, I haven't seen this on the beaches in Oregon!

3 comments:

The Hill Clan said...

WOW!!! What a neat place to live!!! That mosque is GORGEOUS!!! I'm jealous that you are seeing and experiencing so many amazing things!!! And right next to a beach!!! SO AWESOME!!!

Krissy said...

I agree with Alisha, just want to echo that WOW!!! That is seriously Awesome!!! We totally need another Skype session once you guys get settled so you can totally catch us up on everything. Love the abia. What did your boys think about mommy wearing one? Holy nice having some help with the moving and the packing. I sooo can't wait to hear all that has happened!!

Lyndie said...

We have been thinking about you guys! What a beautiful place to live! This really has turned out to be a BIG adventure!! Love it!